Saturday, May 21, 2011

Things Unsaid

"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself."
                                                                                                                   -Proverbs 26:4


I was asked today why I haven't put anything up about Harold Camping's false prophesy that the world was to end today. The answer is that I try to avoid discussing people like Camping, Terry Jones, and others like them because they are media creations. If it were not for the 24 hour news cycle and the unprecedented access to information on the internet they would not be significant stories. They are the equivalent in my mind to viral YouTube videos that become insanely popular simply because of their oddity. By posting something on these kind of things I would only be perpetuating the nonsense so I try to avoid it. The more attention these kind of guys get the more it encourages them and the more it gives the media an opportunity to make our faith a caraciture rather than coming to terms with the true message of the Gospel.



No comments:

Post a Comment